Can Dogs Eat Tic Tacs? – How Poisonous is Xylitol to Dogs?

It’s 2022, and nobody leaves their house without a packet of Tic Tac. Tic Tacs are every human’s go-to mint when it comes to tackling bad breath. As dog parents, when you spend most of your time with your dog, Tic Tac can be an inevitable snack. This brings us to the question, is Tic Tac safe for your dog?

Can Dogs Eat Tic Tac?

No. You should keep Tic Tacs away from your dog as it contains a high amount of sugar or a toxic substance called xylitol, an artificial sweetener. Artificial sweeteners can be extremely harmful to dogs. Therefore, you should avoid feeding your dog Tic Tacs. There might be incidents where your dog ate a dropped gum or two. Fret not; if you want to know what should be your plan of action, read on: 

What Are Tic Tacs?

Tic Tacs were introduced in 1969 by an Italian company called Fererro. It is a small hard mint that is a popular breath freshener. Tic Tac contains: 

  • Sugar
  • Maltodextrin
  • Gum arabic
  • Magnesium salts of fatty acids
  • Glazing agent or carnova wax
  • Peppermint essential oils, and 
  • Rice starch.

Some sugar-free variants of Tic Tacs contain xylitol and artificial sweetener.

What Do They Contain That Is Harmful To Dogs?

Sugar is a highly harmful ingredient that can cause significant health issues in dogs. Sugar is a damaging and unnecessary addition to your dog’s food. This is because they do not require sugar for energy; like humans, they break down carbohydrates in their bodies to get energy. Unfortunately, Tic Tac contains high sugar, which can be dangerous for dogs. Additionally, many sugar-free Tic Tac variants contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can cause toxicity in dogs.

Should I Give My Dog A Tic Tac?

If you feel that your dog has bad breath, you can give them special dog breed mints that can help combat it. Dogs have sensitive stomachs and many allergies. Tic Tacs add nothing to the daily nutrition of a dog. Instead, Tic Tacs are harmful and could be fatal to dogs if overfed in many cases. Xylitol is a highly dangerous artificial sweetener that could lead to death in animals if fed in high amounts. Most of the human foods you eat are unsuitable for dogs and should be kept away from them.

What Are The Symptoms Of Distress If My Dog Overate Tic Tac?

If you observe any of the following symptoms after eating Tic Tac, you should rush your dog to a vet:

  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Excessive thirst 
  • Upset stomach

What To Do If My Dog Ate Tic Tacs?

First, gauge how many pieces of Tic Tac your dog ate. You should rush to a vet if you have a small dog that ate a whole box of Tic Tac. However, if you have a large dog that ate one odd piece of a Tic Tac, you can observe them for 24 hours instead of panicking. If your dog has any symptoms mentioned above, you should take them to a vet where they will perform a stomach decompression to eliminate extra Tic Tac in your dog’s system.

My Dog Ate Sugar-Free Tic Tac. Is It Safe?

Sugar-free Tic Tac has an artificial sweetener called xylitol added to it to make it sweet. Xylitol is considered in competition with chocolate when it comes to being toxic for dogs. Unfortunately, this newfound artificial sweetener is fatal in many cases for dogs. Most products do not mention xylitol as an ingredient. Therefore, if you purchase anything that says it is sugar-free, just know that xylitol is added.

Theobromine present in chocolate is another ingredient that is harmful to your dog. Xylitol is equally dangerous for your dog. To ensure your dog is safe, you should make extra efforts to keep them away from chocolate and anything that claims to be sugar-free.

What Are The Symptoms Of Xylitol Poisoning?

You will observe the following symptoms in your dog if your dog is suffering from xylitol poisoning:

  • Low blood sugar level
  • Staggering
  • Seizures
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy 

Conclusion

We have a new competitor for chocolates, its xylitol. Tic Tac mints are a matter of lifestyle if not a habit. They are present in every car and every purse. However, you should not feed your dog any gums, mints, or Tic Tac. Sweet things and gums are unhealthy for your dog and add no nutrition to your dog’s diet. Tic Tacs contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol which is toxic for dogs. Keep in mind the following:

  • Dogs can succumb to xylitol poisoning.
  • The high amount of sugar in Tic Tac is unsafe for dogs.
  • Sugar can cause tooth decay and pancreatitis in dogs and should be kept away from dogs.

FAQs

Can Dogs Eat Mint Tic Tacs?

No dogs cannot eat mint Tic Tac because it can harm them. Mint Tic Tac contains artificial sweeteners and a high amount of sugar, which is harmful to dogs. In many cases, it can lead to pancreatitis.

Can Dogs Eat Tic Tacs Orange?

Orange Tic Tac is no exception to the rule of not feeding a dog Tic Tac. It has the same ingredients as normal Tic Tac, like artificial sweeteners and sugar. In addition, there is a high risk of liver failure in dogs that have consumed Tic Tac in excess.

Can Dogs Eat Bubble Gum Tic Tacs?

All kinds of gums and Tic Tacs contain xylitol. Dogs do not have the organs to digest this artificial sweetener, which could lead to death. That is no reason to feed your dog Tic Tacs, as they add no nutritional value to your dog’s health.

Can One Tic Tac Kill My Dog?

Most reactions vary from dog to dog. If your dog starts showing symptoms of distress after eating Tic Tac, you should rush them to a vet. Even though they are not inherently fatal to dogs if consumed in a high quantity, Tic Tac could lead to many uncomfortable symptoms. You should remember that every piece of sugar-free mint contains enough xylitol to make a dog severely sick.

Photo of author

Dave

Hi, my name is Dave. I am the founder of dogfoodfix.com. You will find all the vital information about dog food here. Our team has a straightforward aim, to help you make the right decisions about dog food for your furry friend. We will keep posting more fact-based dog nutrition & food-related content. Please give your support & love.