Are Pine Cones Bad for Dogs?- Pine Cones for Dogs – [Explained]

Are Pinecones Bad For Dogs?

Before we get started, a little background on pine cones is needed because you need to know more about them to understand the concept.

As the seed is contained within a pinecone, the cone is tightly closed throughout the cold winter months to protect it.

And, when the weather warms up, the cone opens to let the seeds scatter for future development. Pine trees produce pine cones. As a result, pine cones can be seen on the ground.

Our dogs, of course, have an excellent sense of smell, which will lead them directly to the brown pointy chewing cones that they find on the ground.

Table of Contents

Are Pine Cones Toxic to Dogs?

Let’s get down to business on whether dogs are okay to consume pine cones. We’d want to know whether they’re dangerous. And the reality is that the Pinecones are not harmful in and of themselves. However, this does not imply that it is safe for your dog to consume or play with.

A genuinely natural pine cone will frequently have sap from the tree. If this sap is consumed, it can induce gastrointestinal distress and other problems such as constipation.

Pine cones are fragile in general and will break with sharp edges. These sharp blades can slash up our four-legged family members’ mouths, throats, stomachs, and other internal organs.

It’s also worth noting that, while pine cones are not intrinsically hazardous, they may be coated in harmful compounds. Many pesticides and herbicides have been found on pine cones. When dogs swallow these compounds, they can cause significant and occasionally fatal problems.
So we should try our utmost to keep our four-legged pets away from pine cones.

Reasons Pine Cones Are Bad For Dogs

Pine Oil Causes Stomach Distress

Pine oil is an essential oil derived from pine trees and their needles. It can, however, be found on pine cones as well. Pine oil is challenging to digest and is reasonably likely to cause a severe gastrointestinal upset, evidenced by appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach discomfort if taken.

The Sap is a Well-known Allergy

The pine tree produces the sap, but one may also find it on the cones. Pine sap is a common allergen, particularly in dogs that are prone to allergies. An allergic response might include gastrointestinal problems, face swelling, and difficulty breathing.

The Sap is Highly Sticky, Too

Even if your dog is not allergic, the sap can be dangerous since it is incredibly sticky, putting you and your dog in a sticky predicament. Sap on the paws and face will necessitate a special wash and vigorous cleaning. In dogs with sensitive skin, the simple presence of sap on the skin can be uncomfortable.

Pine Cones Feature Jagged Edges

Pine cones contain sharp edges that can readily hurt the dog’s mouth or other sections of the gastrointestinal system, resulting in bloody vomiting or diarrhea. The sharp edges can inflict severe injuries and pose a dog’s health danger even if not consumed.

Pine Cone Poisoning Symptoms

If your dog has an allergic response, it may exhibit the following symptoms:

  • Nausea
  • Lethargy
  • Excessive thirst or urination
  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

The following are some indications that your dog has consumed a pinecone:

  • Breathing difficulties
  • Swelling of the throat
  • Coughing
  • Having difficulty walking

Kindly call your veterinarian immediately if you see any of the following symptoms in your pet. Here are signs of a life-threatening health issue. If your dog receives timely medical treatment, you may save his life.

If a puppy eats a tiny bit of Pinecone, he should be okay. Take him to the vet as soon as you discover anything unusual about him. Keep your dog or puppy away from pine cones to be on the safe side! Instead of cleaning up pine cones, give your dog some dog-friendly toys!

What Do I Do If My Dog Ate Pine Cone?

Any of the symptoms above might be caused by your dog’s allergic reaction to pine cones. The sooner you contact your veterinarian, the better. By doing so, you may be able to save your dog’s life.

If your dog enjoys throwing pine cones, there are ways to stop them (or pick them up with their mouths and eat them). Bring a range of toys to divert your dog’s interest away from the pine cones. If they’re concentrated on a tennis ball or rubber ball, you can be sure they won’t see the pine cones.

You should also train your puppy to respond to commands such as “drop it.” Use this command when you don’t want your dog to eat anything they’ve picked up in their mouth and aren’t sure if they’re supposed to.

How Can I Prevent My Dog from Eating Pine Cones?

You might acquire a toy for your pet instead of pine cones or sticks for fetching exercises. It would be best if you did this to prevent your pet from consuming non-food items.

Second, educate your dog on proper behavior. Positive reward, such as “drop that,” is the most effective technique to train your dogs. It will be simple to keep your dog under your control after learning the commands.

Before walking in the woods, you may also put a basket muzzle on them. You should be aware that your puppy may attempt to extract anything from its body. Individuals will gradually become accustomed to this option, despite their early pain.

Why is my Dog so Obsessed With Pine Corns?

Puppies, in particular, tend to experience the world through their jaws. Simply said, they are prepared to put anything between their teeth for the sake of it. If this tendency is not addressed, the puppy will develop into an adult that chews and eats inedible materials.

Pine cones appeal to puppies because of their form, which scrapes the gums and makes the chewing process less painful. The abundance of pine cones is the second reason dogs appear to be preoccupied with them — it is difficult to go for a stroll in the park or near woods without encountering a few pine cones along the road.

Final Thoughts:

We now know that, despite their curiosity, we wish to keep our furry family away from pine cones and other hazards because we love them. We understand that it will be difficult since kids are inherently interested, and we do not want to suppress their spirit of discovery and adventure.

As a result, my personal advice is to carry a secure toy with you on walks that you can throw around the park to let them explore. The same is true for the backyard; clear out those harmful pine cones and spend some time exploring the nooks and crevices with your dog. It’s a bonding event you’ll both remember for years to come.

FAQ: Are Pine Cones Bad for Dogs?

Are Pine Cones Poisonous to Dogs?

The Digestive System’s Dangers Cones, straws, and needles have sharp edges and points that can cause stomach or intestinal perforation or puncture in dogs. These foods are complex to digest and may cause bowel and stomach blockages, needing surgery.

Can I Remove The Cone Off my Dog?

You should wear the cone until the wound has healed completely and/or the sutures have been removed. An excellent general guideline is to leave it on until your vet’s re-check visit, at which point you will be told if the cone may be removed or should be left on.

Photo of author


Hi, my name is Dave. I am the founder of You will find all the vital information about dog food here. Our team has a straightforward aim, to help you make the right decisions about dog food for your furry friend. We will keep posting more fact-based dog nutrition & food-related content. Please give your support & love.