Artichoke is an exotic part of a thistle plant. Many people think it is a vegetable. However, it is not the case. Artichoke is a part of a thistle plant that is edible. It is a flower bud that is globe-shaped and is cultivated right before the flower blooms to be consumed in a soft state. It is often served boiled and tastes similar to Brussels sprouts and asparagus. Even though you absolutely love artichoke, is it safe for your dog?
Table of Contents
Can Dogs Have Artichoke?
Yes, dogs can consume artichoke. Artichokes are not poisonous to dogs and can be fed to them if prepared safely. However, you must remember that you must only feed your dog’s artichokes in moderation. Even though there is nothing poisonous in artichoke, it could be a choking hazard for your dog. So if you are thinking of adding artichokes to your dog’s treat, read on:
Is Artichoke Healthy For Dogs?
There are many reasons why artichoke is a healthy treat for your dog. Here are some
- Rich in Antioxidants: Artichoke is rich in antioxidants that help fight ageing and cancer in dogs. Antioxidants present in artichoke help boost your dog’s immune system. They also facilitate the functioning of the liver.
- Folate: Artichoke is rich in vitamin B9, also known as folate. Vitamin B9 helps in the production of red blood cells.
- Fiber-rich: Artichokes are rich in fiber. Fiber is an essential part of your dog food. It is vital for your dog’s gut health and bowel movements. Fiber absorbs extra water and helps in passing firm stool. A healthy stool indicates that your dog is disease-free. Artichokes are rich in fiber and therefore are beneficial for your dog.
- Rich in Potassium: Artichokes are rich in potassium, an electrolyte, and a mineral. Potassium is essential for ensuring that your dog’s nervous system is healthy as potassium helps in building electrolytes which help in carrying the electrical pulses in your dog’s body.
What Are The Reactions To Artichoke In Dogs?
Even though artichoke is not harmful to dogs, some dogs might react negatively. If you are dog is showing the following symptoms contact your vet:
Are Dogs Allergic To Artichoke?
There is no research to show that dogs are allergic to artichoke. However, serving them marinated or seasoned artichoke could be a health hazard for your dog. If you are worried that your dog is allergic to artichokes, you can try and feed them a small piece of it. If you are dog shows any symptoms of distress, then you can avoid feeding artichokes to them.
How To Safely Prepare Artichoke For Your Dog?
After cutting artichoke from the plant, you have to cook it. You can do so by boiling it for 15 to 20 minutes or steaming it for 30 to 40 minutes. Only after cooking the artichoke, you can cut them into small pieces for your dog. Remember, do not add any kind of seasoning or salt to artichoke. Seasonings and salt are not healthy for your dog. You can also feed your dog raw artichoke cut into small pieces so that it doesn’t choke on them.
Can I Feed My Dog Artichokes Dip?
Artichokes bought from market shells contain harmful ingredients like preservatives, cheese, garlic, onion, salt, and sugar. All these ingredients are extremely dangerous for your dog’s health. Therefore, avoid feeding joke tips to your dogs.
What Is The Best Way To Feed Your Dog’s Artichoke?
Artichokes are inherently healthy treats for your dog. They are extremely rich in antioxidants and nutrients. The best way to serve artichoke to your dog is raw. However, since artichoke could be a choking hazard for your dog, make sure to cut them into small pieces before serving it to them.
Even though artichokes are very healthy for your dogs, make sure that you do not overfeed your dog artichokes. Most human foods have some of the other reactions in dogs. Therefore you should avoid feeding your dog artichoke regularly. However, in moderation, artichoke can be a healthy addition to your dog’s diet.
Artichokes are a healthy snack for your dog. They are not poisonous and are a safe treat for your dog if prepared safely. Keeping mind the following while serving your dog artichoke:
- You can feed them raw artichoke
- Make sure the artichoke is cut into small pieces so that they are not a choking hazard for them.
- While serving cooked artichoke, make sure it doesn’t have ingredients like salt, garlic, and onions.
- Artichoke can be a fun addition to your dog’s food is cooked or served safely.
- Don’t overfeed artichoke to your dog.
Can Dogs Have An Artichoke Heart?
Artichoke hearts are rich in antioxidants. Your dog can safely consume artichoke hearts if you prepare them safely. They are healthy snacks rich in potassium and folate. It can help your dog fight many diseases. However, keep in mind to feed them artichoke in moderation only as overfeeding artichoke to them can cause health issues in dogs.
Can Dogs Have Spinach And Artichoke?
Spinach and artichoke are a safe food for dogs. However, if you are feeding your dog spinach artichoke dip, you should be aware of its ingredients. Spinach artichoke dip contains garlic, cheese mayonnaise, paper, salt, and basil. Garlic and onions are not safe food for dogs. And sodium in salt also harms dogs; therefore, do not feed your dog spinach artichoke dip.
Can Dogs Eat Fresh Artichoke?
Yes, dogs can eat a fresh artichoke. Fresh artichoke contains a high amount of vitamin C, which is essential for your dog’s health. In addition, you can serve raw and fresh artichoke to your dog in small pieces so that it doesn’t choke on them.
Can Dogs Eat Cooked Artichoke?
Yes, you can serve cooked artichoke to your dog. However, do not add salt to it as it has sodium, which is harmful to dogs. If you have cooked artichoke with garlic and onion, keep it away from dogs as both these ingredients are unsafe for dogs. Do not add any kind of seasoning to cook artichoke either.